Dog rescued by mouth to mouth

Miles Bloomer came to home his coverted barn, near Kidderminster, on 30 December to find condensation on his windows. Realising something was wrong, he quickly opened the front door to find a blaze inside.

“I thought something was wrong and then when I opened the front door the smoke just started billowing out. I went inside to try and get some water but the heat and smoke was just too much.” Miles told the Express and Star newspaper.

Although unable to get through the heat to fight the blaze, he saw his dog, Winnie, lying unconscious on the floor.

“I grabbed her and pulled her outside where I gave her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. I had never done it before but it seemed to work well and Winnie soon came round.”

Firefighters believe that lights decorating a Christmas tree started the fire.