Dogs will be shot in Lake District

The Lake District National Park Authority is warning that dogs off leads will be shot if they worry livestock.

Peter Thompson, an Ambleside farmer, told BBC News:

“About 70% of people act responsibly and have control over their pets, for which we are very grateful, but the other 30 per cent are behaving ever more irresponsibly.

“There have already been a number of serious sheep worrying cases this year, resulting in dogs being shot.”

Between 1 March and 31 July all dogs must be kept on a two meter lead when near livestock and on private land accessed through rambling rights.

  • cathy lee

    I dont know if my dog will be a risk to sheep – am assuming that most dogs are though. Is there a way of training them not to chase sheep? I go up to the Lakes every weekend and it could be an ordeal being dragged backwards and forwards by the dog as it tried to get to sheep.
    Any suggestions please?