December is Animal Month, as part of the UK’s Year of the Volunteer, and some of the big animal charities are going on tour to promote the benefits of volunteering with animal organisations.
One of the main aims of the tour is to encourage people to give time to activities not directly related to animal care. Web designers, photographers, IT experts and financial types can all make a valuable contribution through their professional skills.
Of course, there are plenty of opportunities to work with animals, including:
- cat socialisation
- small wild mammal monitoring
- finding falcons on farms
- dog and dog walker transportation
- shop and reception work
- rabbit massage
- puppy fostering
- horse whispering
- pets as therapy
- guide dog training.
You can find out more at www.yearofthevolunteer.org or visit your local event:
- London Victoria Station: Thurs 1 December, 1300 – 2030
- Dolphin Shopping Centre, Poole: Mon 5 December, 0900 – 1730
- Bristol Temple Meads Train Station: Wed 7 December, 1000 – 2000
- Birmingham New Street Station: Sun 11 December, 1000 – 2000
- Leicester Train Station: Mon 12 December, 1000 – 2030
- Leeds Train Station: Thurs th December, 1000 – 2030
- Metro Centre, Gateshead: Sat 17th December, 0900 – 1900